Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Buffy, the pop culture phenom!


In March of 1997, up and coming network the WB took a chance on a series that the other 4 major networks had passed on. Little did they know that this show would go on to become a cultural phenomenon, that show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was originally a movie that starred Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry. The film was panned by critics and had very little success. Several years later that movie was turned into a television series. Now, you are probably asking yourself why is he talking about some stupid TV show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'll tell you why, because it was one of the best shows that has been on television in the last 30 years. TV Guide rated it #41 on the list of the 50 Greatest TV Shows of all time, not bad for a show that many people initially laughed at, including me. I actually was one of the few who sat through the horrible movie and thought for sure that the TV show was going to be horrific, but I decided to give it a shot. Man was I surprised. This show had it all, excellent writing from Josh Whedon and staff, great acting and chemistry between the cast, humor, emotion and at times the show poked fun at itself.

Why am I writing a blog about this show? Well, last week Best Buy put all 7 seasons of the show on sale for $15.99 a season, what a deal. I have seen all 7 seasons when they originally aired, but wanted to have the show on DVD. So, over the last couple of years, I have purchased a season here and a season there. Well, this was my chance to pick up a couple more seasons at a fantastic price. So, I picked up seasons 4 and 5 and went to the counter. When I placed them on the counter, the cashier looked at me and started to laugh. She asked me was I seriously buying them and I started to laugh myself. I told her I was not ashamed that I love the show and wanted to eventually have all 7 seasons. Now, when some of my friends find out I watch the show, they laugh to..initially. Once I get them to watch the show, they become hooked to! To date, I have converted over 20 people into Buffy fans. Do you want to be the next one I convert?? Don't be ashamed, it's just TV folks!! I say, grab the popcorn, a wooden stake, pull up a seat and enjoy one of the greatest shows ever created!



So, take a second, look at the show intro above and realize that you are going to enjoy this show! I do have one question though...why is it that every vampire on the shows knows kung fu??

No comments: