Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Death of a King


I sit here writing this blog absolutely stunned. In fact, I don't even know what to say. Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, is dead at age 50. Dead...Michael Jackson. I can't believe my fingers are typing those words. What can you say about Michael Jackson, a tremendous entertainer and at the same time a troubled man. There have been many things that have been said about Michael, some good, some bad, but one thing that can be said is that Michael Jackson was a legend. Wow, it seems so surreal that I sad he was a legend.
During his illustrious music career, Michael Jackson had entertained and thrilled millions and millions of people all over the world. He was the consummate performer. No one could touch him when it came to performing on stage. When the Jackson 5 first auditioned for Berry Gordy and Motown representatives..


Right there Berry Gordy knew he had something special in Michael Jackson. A bit of Little Richard, a bit of James Brown all rolled up into one small 8 year old package. Now, I don't know all the truth about what happened with Michael during his childhood, we have all heard the stories, but I am sure it had to be a hard and stressful time to be such a shy kid and thrust into the spotlight like he was. One thing he always had was his music.

I am not here to pass judgement on Michael when it comes to the charges and allegations levied against him over the years. I am not here to decide guilt or innocence, I am simply hear to say the we have lost probably the greatest entertainer in our history. It is a very, very sad day. What do you say when you get blindsided by something like this? All I can say is we all have our memories of Michael and his music. Many of his songs remind me of specific times in my life. Anytime I heard a Michael song, you can bet your ass I would be on the dance floor dancing like there was no tomorrow.

I am sure all of us at one time or another in our lives have tried to dance like Michael Jackson. The moonwalk, the leg kick, the scream We have all probably dressed like Michael Jackson, the glitter glove, the red thriller jacket. That shows you what kind of impact this man had on pop culture and what he meant to the world. Once the man took the stage at the Motown 25 special in the early 80's and first showed off the moonwalk, he had the world in the palms of his hands. Can you think of anyone else who has come close? It is just astonishing to me that the man who created the masterpiece Thriller 25 years ago is now dead. An album that is still the best selling album of all time, 50 million copies at last count.

I don't know what else to say. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Jackson family. The world has lost a great entertainer...simple as that. Rest in peace Michael Jackson.

The King is Dead..

No comments: