Monday, March 16, 2009

In Memory of Lamya


It is with deep regret that I pass on the information that I found out just today. Singer Lamya has passed away from a heart attack on January 9th 2009. Here is the statement from her official myspace page:

It is with deepest regret to have to inform you all that Lamya has passed away on the 8th of January 2009 in her home town Oman. She died of a heart attack. This has come as a great shock to all of her family and dear friends as I am sure it is to YOU her fans. We will dearly miss her and may God rest her soul.

The reason I am writing this blog is that I had the distinct honor of meeting her and seeing her perform live. I first became aware of Lamya when watching MTV and they were doing a segment on artists to watch. Lamya was one of the artists that was spotlighted and I instantly fell in love with her voice. After going to her website and listening to her album, I went out and purchased it. Needless to say, it was an amazing album. Her voice was a true instrument and anyone who listened knew it.

I found out that she was going to be performing in Arlington, Virginia at a spot called Iota. It's a local venue that has all kinds of live acts perform there. I was able to get to the club after work with some friend of mine for happy hour. During which Lamya and her band began to do a sound check for the show. I went inside to listen to the sound check. There were about 20 people in the bar at the time and none were really paying attention, except for me and another female. During the sound check, I was able to talk with her road manager who introduced me to her. She was so nice. Talked to me for about 10 minutes and signed my cd for me. I then stayed for her show and was blown away. Hearing her sing live was absolutely amazing. Her set lasted for about an hour and 20 minutes. After it was over, the road manager came over to me and asked did I want to come over and talk with them. He went to their tour bus and gave me a promotional video and some other items. Lamya continued to talk with me and also signed a poster for me. I was actually invited to hangout with the band. The all were very personable and were happy to converse with their fans.

If you have not picked up the only album she released, I suggest you do and listen to a true artist. The name of the album is Learning to Fall.

So, it comes as a complete shock to me to find out that she has passed away. My sympathies go out to her family and friends. You will be missed Lamya.

Please enjoy her biggest hit, Empires.



No comments: